Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The More You Know the Better

Herd the News?
While I generally subscribe to the adage, The More You Know the Better, in this case I'm not so sure.

While sautéing the $8.99 per pound Grass Fed Sirloin Beef for tacos I looked at the packaging the beef came in and read some information I think I could have done without.

We've all heard about the bad stuff going on with our meat:
  • Antibiotics
  • Growth hormones
  • Animal by-products in feed
  • Cages, crates and crowding
But, I was unaware of some of these other "Fun Facts" printed on the meat wrapper (that fortunately don't apply to the meat I purchased.):
  • Beak trimming
  • Dehorning
  • Teeth clipping
  • Tail docking (Whatever the hell that is, and don't' feel compelled to tell me if you know.)
  • Electric prods 
  • Bedding for Pigs required (No wonder pigs have a reputation for being lazy.)
Scary stuff!  As I continued to stir the meat, I thought about my Mom and how she would never have bought in to this whole foods nonsense (her word), and would have pointed to me and said, "You turned out fine."  I think I did, but that's not to say I don't wonder about all the ACME (or ACAME as my Mom called it) meat I was fed in my lifetime.

By the way, my older son thinks Taco Bell has the most delicious food on Earth.  I can't even begin to think about where that "meat" comes from!

So, when it comes to food I'm not sure how I feel about The More You Know the Better.

No comments:

Post a Comment