Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Philadelphia:The Ugliest City in America


My son's girlfriend sent me this photo and I thought to myself, "That's a nice shot of Tom and I.  We're not a bad looking couple."

I don't think we're Brad and Angelina, but we're certainly not the worst looking couple you've ever seen.  Right?

Well, not everybody agrees with me.

This is a true story.

About 20 years ago on a Saturday afternoon, Tom and I were walking down Walnut Street in Center City Philadelphia.  We saw a camera crew on the street, pointing the camera at us, but did not think anything of it.

That night, my brother-in-law called and said, "Turn on the TV.  Turn on the TV. You're going to be on TV."

Apparently, the broadcaster had previewed the stories coming up after the commercial break and a picture Tom and I flashed on the TV screen.

Tom quickly turned on the TV just as the newscaster was reading a report about a survey conducted by the newspaper USA Today that voted Philadelphia the "Ugliest City in America."

As the newscaster read the report an image of Tom and I walking down the street filled the TV screen.

Now you can tell people you know the "Ugliest Couple in America!"

By the way, Philadelphia has also been voted the "Most Hostile" and one of the "Most Obese" cities, so I guess I can work with "Ugliest."

No comments:

Post a Comment